Over the last little while our church has been working through how to make some significant changes to our services. After much discussion at a parish council level, beginning last October, and after feedback from the wider parish, we released the following letter to members of our church.
Upcoming Service Changes
Thank you to everyone who filled out a survey or spoke with myself, Honor, or one of the parish councillors. Your honesty and feedback has been crucial and vital to myself and the parish council as we’ve sought to chart a way forward.
We believe that God has called us to be a church for Lindisfarne, making disciples of Jesus and we have sought to make a decision that will enable us to do this for people from every generation in our community both now and well into the future. The need for a new service that connects with families as well as the need to continue to offer traditional worship, combined with our limited resources, has meant a hard choice has had to be made. We can only afford to run two services well on Sunday (one traditional, and one family friendly) and yet we have people who love traditional worship in both centres.
As a result of everyone’s feedback I, in consultation with the Parish Council, have decided to make a small but significant adjustment to the implementation of our chosen option, and the trial period. We make these changes because we care deeply for all of you.
What are we doing?
Option 2 – with transition
- 9am St Aidans (Traditional Holy Communion)
- For a transition period of 3 months, the first Sunday of each month will be held at 9am at St James.
- This transition arrangement may finish at this point or continue through to the end of 2018.
- 10:30am St Aidans (a service that will change over time to become more and more family friendly – with a once a month family service).
- Wednesday no change.
- There will be a review in September and again in December with any changes to be implemented by 2019.
When are we doing it?
- The last week of current services will be Sunday 3rd June.
- The new service structure will start the following week on Sunday 10th June.
- The first monthly service at St James will be on Sunday 1st July.
- Parish Council review of changes on Monday 17th September.
What happens next?
Over the next month, I hope you will continue to pray about which service you think God is calling you to. In a month’s time, we will be asking people to indicate what roles and rosters they would like to fill in the new services.
We will be holding a Parish Prayer afternoon (3pm-5pm) and night (7pm-9pm) on Monday 23rdof April where we will be committing our parish and these changes together to the Lord in prayer. You are welcome to come to one or both of those meetings.
You are all in my prayers
I take seriously my role as your leader and pastor. I know that for some of you these changes will be difficult. I want to walk with you through that change and I commit to being there with you as we go through this together.
Rev Chris Bowditch